If buffalo, elk, wild turkey, eland, antelope, moose, and frog sound delicious to you, then you need to buy a ticket for the Wild Game Supper, hosted by the Larose Regional Park & Civic Center (307 East 5th Street, Larose, LA), on Thursday, March 25th at 6:45 pm. The 13th annual Wild Game Supper features a wide variety of game-centric dishes, prepared by community volunteers, as well as live music, animal mounts/taxidermy, and an auction.
Food is the main attraction. More than three dozen dishes showcase the best of camp-style and wild-game cooking. Last year’s dishes included:
- White oyster stew, okra & shrimp gumbo, crab & corn bisque, wild turkey gumbo;
- Hot pork jambalaya, wild rice & quail jambalaya, grilled grillades, grilled deer sausage;
- Grilled alligator sausage, beef jerky, elk sausage, white shrimp spaghetti, gratons;
- Routeed pork, hogshead cheese, alligator sauce piquante, white beans, fried fish;
- Fried frogs’ legs, crawfish etouffee, redfish courtbouillion, rabbit in applesauce;
- Fried chicken, crawfish fettucini, honey baked wild boar, rotisserie pig, camp routeed duck;
- Venison chili, crab fricassee, brown deer spaghetti, red deer spaghetti, mushroom duck;
- Moose salami, Lechwe summer sausage, deer lo mein, deep fried eland backstrap
- Buffalo ragout patate; potato salad; alimony pie, and bread pudding.
- New for 2010: lamb lollipops with fruit glace and antelope stew. Of course, a cash bar (with great prices) will also be available.
The event benefits the not-for-profit park’s endowment fund. Tickets, available only in advance due to game-consumption regulations, are $35 per person. For $500, you can spring for a table of 8 and receive a personal waiter and complimentary bottle of wine. To purchase a ticket, contact the the Civic Center at 985.693.7355.